Perusall is a social annotation LTI tool that integrates with Bruin Learn. Perusall enables students and their instructors to collaboratively annotate and comment on PDF articles, videos, webpages, and podcasts. Instructors can create Perusall annotation assignments that sync to the Bruin Learn gradebook. For students, assigned readings become more of a social learning experience, allowing students to freely engage with and respond to their peers' comments on the readings.
For Instructors and TAs
- Graded Perusall assignments can sync with the Bruin Learn gradebook.
- Instructors can save time grading by taking advantage of Perusall’s automatic grading feature. Instructors can choose to define specific scoring criteria for their Perusall annotation assignments, and Perusall will grade students’ work automatically based on the defined scoring criteria. Instructors can review and edit grades as needed.
- Using Perusall for assigned course readings helps to ensure that students come to class prepared, having read and engaged with the assigned readings.
- Instructors have access to several analytical reports to review student engagement with assigned Perusall assignments.
- TAs can comment on student work and their contributions to discussions will be highlighted similarly to instructors, but they do not have access to grades or to edit course or assignment settings.
- Students can highlight and comment on key passages that are important to them on assigned readings. Students can read and comment on their peers’ annotations as they actively interact with the content. This interactive process enables students to continue to engage with the course material and gain valuable insights and perspectives from their peers.
- Provides students an alternative way to contribute to class discussions.
- Students have the option to save private notes on the reading.
Perusall paid for by the University. It is available to instructors and students at no cost. However, any textbooks or copyrighted content used in the Perusall interface will require students to purchase. Instructors should contact the ASUCLA Bookstore for more information about purchasing Perusall texts for their course.
Additional Resources for Instructors
- Add Perusall to your Course Menu
- Perusall 1.3 Enhancements
- Grade Sync in LTI 1.3
- How to Copy Perusall Assignments to a New Course Site
- Perusall Getting Started for Instructors
- Perusall Resources for Instructors
- Perusall Scoring Options: Annotation Only
- How Perusall Scoring Works
- What are hashtags and how do they work?
Additional Resources for Students
LTI Scope Definitions
- Campuswide - LTI tools are available in any Bruin Learn course.
- Sub-account - LTI tools have limited availability. These are often requested and funded by specific divisions, departments, or courses. These LTIs can be found by filtering via Status = "Available at a Cost."
LTI Status Definitions
- Requested - Requested tools are in the earliest phases for inclusion in Bruin Learn. This phase includes learning more about the functionality, supplier, costs, support options, existing campus or UC licensing agreements, etc.
- In Review - The LTI tool is undergoing review by multiple stakeholders, including software advisory workgroups, security, accessibility, funding, data use and privacy, and UCLA Purchasing.
- On Hold - The LTI tool process is on hiatus for any number of reasons, including: remediation of accessibility, security, data use and privacy concerns; identifying available funding sources; negotiations with the supplier; re-consideration of the original need, etc.
- Approved - The LTI tool process has been approved and preparation for installation is underway. Prior to availability, post-approval work may include resolving technical integration issues, developing training, etc.
- Available - The LTI tool process is installed and available for general use in Bruin Learn.
- Available at a cost - The LTI tool has been reviewed and approved and is available for purchase by units requiring the functionality the tool provides.
- Contact ASUCLA Bookstore - Publisher-related LTI tools are obtained through the ASUCLA Bookstore.